Pages

Saturday, October 24, 2009

CSA Week 2


I can't believe it's already Saturday and I'm just posting about the CSA I picked up this past Tuesday! (The two kids and I have been sick and that's thrown a wrench in our plans, but more on that later.)

First, what happened with the rest of last week's veggies? I'm ashamed to admit that the spinach bit the dust. I hadn't expected it to go so soon, but alas it wilted and withered and in the green bin it went without so much as a taste taken. Half of the salad greens went too. The beets and mushrooms are still awaiting consumption. The remaining apples went into soup or were eaten by my son. 2 of the pears are still hanging on. Most of the enormous butternut squash went into a Curried Butternut Squash Peanut Butter Soup but only this Thursday. The rest of it has been frozen for either another soup or a squash lasagna.

Here's what I found in my goodie box this week:

FrugalMaman's Fall CSA Box Week #2
Onions (2) 353 g
Italian Parsley 157 g
Spinach 252 g
Avocado (1) 166 g
Butternut Squash (1 small) 811 g
Yams or Sweet Potato** (2) 897 g
White Carrots (7) 424 g
Mystery Root Vegetable* (5) 310 g
Beets (7) 345 g
Mushrooms 116 g
Apples (7) 787 g
Bananas (5) 918 g
Celery 787 g
Red Kale 284 g
Hydroponic Romaine Lettuce 283 g
Total Weight - 6.89 kg

* Thanks to the help of my father, these have been identified as small turnips. I'd considered posting a pic on Facebook and asking my friends to 'name that root vegetable'!
** I honestly can't tell the difference despite many efforts to educate myself.

I'm planning to make a veggie soup tomorrow with some of the veggies (not sure which yet) with a turkey stock I made on Thursday (also used up some veggies), the fate of the rest is as yet undecided, We're making good progress on the romaine lettuce, but in all this has been tougher week. I've fallen behind in my eating and cooking because I've been sick since last Sunday and have been enjoying a general lack of appetite and bouts of nausea - yippee! So I haven't zipped through the veggies as I'd hoped. Fingers crossed that this week is better.

No comments:

Post a Comment